Einstein’s words “nothing happens until something moves” still rings true today. The power of people working alongside each other in serving the least of our community is an experience guaranteed to transform every heart. We welcome groups of all ages and offer volunteer opportunities on weekdays, evenings and weekends. Each event is unique; we invite you to select the opportunity that best fits your group. We look forward to turning hunger into hope with you… one child at a time!
Individuals and families interested in volunteering should register for Enews (via the home page of this website) or follow on Facebook and Twitter as events open to the public are advertised through those communication venues.
Bags of Hope
Bags of Hope are backpacks that include individually portioned, shelf-stable meals and snacks for in-home weekend consumption. Bags of Hope are distributed at school on Friday afternoon, so children receive food and nutrition outside of school. Each Bag contains 50 grams of protein and 20 grams of fiber, needs no refrigeration, is easily transported home and provides consistent nourishment to a child in need.
The ideal group size for a Bags of Hope packing is 25-30.
The average session is 2 hours long.
Each event includes a short “Hunger 101” and brief introduction to Kitchen on the Street.
Volunteers will work in stations of an assembly line to bag pre-packaged meals and snacks for distribution at partner schools.
In AZ these events take place at Kitchen on the Street located just off the 101 freeway at Cave Creek.
In TX these events take place at Kitchen on the Street in San Antonio.
If possible, we ask each group to host a food drive or benefit event of some kind prior to the volunteer date. Should that not be possible, we do ask that each volunteer bring at least 1 non-perishable food item for donation.
Volunteer opportunities for individuals and families (small groups) are communicated via Enews (register on the Homepage), Facebook and Twitter. Please select the method of communication you prefer and watch for opportunities!
While it might seem like volunteering at Kitchen on the Street is the only way to give of your time and talent, many outside activities are needed in order to provide the programs Kitchen on the Street currently offers. The following acts of service will further the mission of turning hunger into hope, we invite you to select one and join the fight against hunger today:
- Stay informed, get the KOS newsletter and share it with friends. (Join the E-news)
- Raise awareness by word of mouth, social media, etc. (Facebook and Twitter )
- Host a food drive; encourage others to as well. (Email KOS for flyers)
- Join the $25 Club and sponsor a child ($25 per month).
- Designate your AZ tax dollars by donating to KOS (ARS 43-1088 allows individuals filing Arizona income tax returns to donate to qualifying charities in exchange for a dollar for dollar tax credit. $400 per individual or $800 per couple can be given to organizations that the State of Arizona deems as serving the “working poor” to reduce taxes for these tax filers). Make a 1 time annual donation or recurring monthly donations.